Hello LVNG LARGE friends,
I had the pleasure to venture off to D.C. with my cousins for a much needed girls trip. Boy was it fun! I had the best time so allow me to share some deets !
Stay at the Normandy Hotel
Tucked away in embassy lane, the Normandy Hotel is a blend of the old and modern world. Rooms are all uniquely decorated. Choose what you like. The neighborhood itself offers various dining, shopping, and entertainment venues all walkable. From the bistros and book stores of Dupont Circle to the eclectic cuisine and independent shops of Adams Morgan.
- Quality : poor breakfast options, old A/C system, beautiful bathroom 3/5
- Access: walkable community, nearby to a lot of restaurants and shops, 4/5
- Pricing : reasonable $89/night , 4/5
- Service: courteous , 3/5
- Overall LVNG LARGE experience : 5/5 because of family
Breakfast at Founding Farmers, D.C.
Founding Farmers restaurant is the #1 breakfast spot in D.C. This farm(s)-to-table restaurant offers fresh, delicious American-inspired food and drinks.
What I recommend :Uncle Buck’s beignets.
- Quality : fresh , 4/5
- Access: walkable, reservations needed, 4/5
- Pricing : reasonable $50 for 3 people , 5/5
- Service: very busy, took awhile to get the check 3/5
- Overall LVNG LARGE experience : 4/5
Smoothies at Protein Bar
Protein Bar in D.C. was definitely a providential find. With the emphasis on healthy, fresh, and tasty ingredients, I just couldn’t resist.
What I recommend: the Avo-Matcha vegan smoothie – vanilla protein, matcha green tea, almond milk, avocado and organic raw honey.
- Quality : fresh , vegan maybe even organic. Definitely watch out for smoothies high in sugar. The smoothie ingredients were over simple. More nutrients such as maca, shrooms, probiotics needed…. 3/5
- Access: walkable, heavy door makes the entrance confusing 3/5
- Pricing : reasonable $8 for a smoothie , 4/5
- Service: very friendly and fast 5/5
- Overall LVNG LARGE experience : 3.75/5
Dinner at Nando Peri Peri on 18th St.
Nando Peri Peri is a Portuguese restaurant that specializes in flame-grilled chicken. It is tasty, spicy, and an absolutely MUST if you’ve never had it before. Upstairs seating is a little more calm and intimate.
What I recommend : 1/2 chicken and a side if you’re alone but if in a group, get the Whole Chicken with your choice of 2 large sides .
- Quality : not organic but oh so yummy, 3/5
- Access: walkable, no reservations needed, 4/5
- Pricing : reasonable no more than $15/person , 5/5
- Service: #everyoneiswelcome policy , very casual and laid-back, order the food at the counter and waiter/waitress brings it within the next 10mins 4/5
- Overall LVNG LARGE experience : 4/5
Visit The National Museum of African American History and Culture
WOW is all I have to say when it comes to the National Museum of African American History and Culture. This fairly new , state of the art masterpiece stirs emotions while engaging, educating and inspiring. The museum entry is free yet tickets are still required. Make sure to reserve tickets for upcoming dates HERE. Same day tickets are available online at 6:30am , or on-site at 1pm. Lines are long. Give yourself enough time. The museum is huge. Once inside, I strongly recommend heading to Emmet Till‘s memorial first , worth the wait.
- Quality : excellent array of movies, pictures, collectibles, and very knowledgeable tour guides 5/5
- Access: walkable, long line but it moves fast, 5/5
- Pricing : FREE 5/5
- Service: very friendly staff 5/5
- Overall LVNG LARGE experience : 5/5
Grab a Book at Kramerbooks & Afterwords
Some people collect shot glasses, magnets, or star wars figures. I like to collect books from places I have visited. Located in Dupont Circle , Kramerbooks & Afterwords is not just a cute bookstore, it’s also a cafe and bar so you can enjoy a refreshing cocktail and succulent bites while reading one of your favorite authors! Now if that’s not LVNG LARGE I don’t know what is.
- Quality : excellent variety of genres 5/5
- Access: walkable, books are nicely organized 5/5
- Pricing : eek! Just don’t go crazy. 3/5
- Service: very friendly staff, they’ll recommend books if you’re indecisive like me 5/5
- Overall LVNG LARGE experience : 4.5/5
More from the trip…
This trip was on the short side and I would love to go back to visit other remarkable museums i.e. Holocaust Museum and historical sites. My goal is to visit all 50 states. What are some of your favorite cities to visit? Suggestions are welcome in the comment section below .
Remember , travel restores the body, stretches the mind, uplifts the heart and awakens the soul. So travel often and well.
Planning a next travel ? Make a reality out of “Eat Well ,Travel Often” by checking out How To Stay Fit and Healthy While Traveling.
– LVNG LARGE